As runners, we all have our own personal favorite running accessories. From shoes and socks to GPS watches and hydration packs, running can get expensive. But it’s so important to find what works for you, especially when you are getting to higher mileage.
Obviously there are a countless number of brands and items that I could have included on this list. But these are my personal favorites. Here are a few of my favorite things…
- Shoes: I run in Nike Pegasus and Brooks Launch. I am more of a neutral runner, which these shoes are great for. Because I typically run 4-5 days a week, especially when training for a race, I like to rotate two different pairs of shoes during the week. One for shorter runs and another for longer runs. Also…I definitely wear out the life of my shoes within about 4 months, so I go through multiple pairs in a year.
- Socks: Pro Compression are my go-to socks. I am a huge Pro Compression fan. I love their marathon socks. They look and feel amazing. Plus, the compression really does help me recover faster after a long run. (Compression and awesome patterns…Sold!)
- Watch: Garmin Forerunner 220. For the last several years, I ran with the Nike GPS watch. But I finally made the switch this spring to the Garmin and I love it. It’s much smaller and lighter. The battery life is better. And it does everything I need it to do. If you aren’t ready to spend money on a watch to track your run, there’s an app (actually, several) for that – two of my favorites are Nike+ Running and Map My Run.
- Clothing: I run in Dri-Fit/Tech shirts and running shorts. My personal favorites are Lululemon (their shorts and shirts are ridiculously amazing and super expensive), Under Armour, and Nike.
- Safety: I don’t carry my ID when I run. I especially don’t like to run with my phone, unless I’m going to be gone for a long time. So I use the Road ID (the Shoe ID). It has my name, 2 emergency contacts and any medical alerts I might need them to know.
- Hydration: When I’m running longer than 7-9 miles, I carry the Osprey Hydration Belt. I love it. It has two bottles and plenty of room to store fuel, sunglasses, hat, etc. I tried to use a hydration pack on my back, but just never felt comfortable with it. I carry water in one bottle and Nuun (for electrolytes) in the other bottle.
- Fuel: I use several different kinds of gels and chews. But I tend to yield to the PowerGels and Honey Stinger Organic Chews as they are lighter on my stomach.
- Few Other Things: Body Glide, Swiftwick socks, Raw Threads Clothing (Rachel’s favorite but I do love their shirts as well), iPod Shuffle, Suncloud Sunglasses and SPIbelt.
What are your favorite running accessories?
One thought on “Favorite Running Accessories”
I love these lists; feels like we’re looking in each other’s closets or fridges! 😊 Great choices and very similar