Yesterday was the 5 year anniversary of my mom’s passing. 5 years. Doesn’t even seem possible that it’s been 5 years since I’ve seen or even talked to her. In some ways it feels like yesterday and in other ways, it feels like decades ago…
As I think back over the past 5 years, so much has happened with our family. Just a few major things off the top of my head…
- Rachel and I bought a house and moved to Brookhaven.
- After 20 years of Youth Ministry, I moved into a new role in the church world as Director of Activities.
- Rachel was promoted (twice) and now is a Director at her company.
- Julie (my sister) had another baby girl (Emma).
- Will (my younger brother) received his doctorate.
- Dad met a wonderful lady, Suzanne, and they were married last August.
- Our grandmother (Billie) and step-grandfather (Reeves) passed away.
- My brother-in-law (PJ) and sister-in-law (Deanna) both lost parents as well.
- Warren (my older brother) and Melissa now have 2 kids in High School, including one who will graduate in May and head off to college next year.
And honestly…these are just a few things off the top of my head.
Since it was 5 years yesterday, I ended up spending the day down in Auburn with my sister, Julie, and her family. It was a welcome distraction and a wonderful time just being with Julie’s family, including 3 of my favorite nieces. My mother loved our family so much and I know her number one priority was making sure we were all happy and that our family remained strong. I can honestly say we are as strong as ever. And though every day I wish she were still with us, I am so thankful for the legacy she left in all of us.
Here are a few pictures from my time in Auburn yesterday.