Yesterday I started my “Best of 2016” lists with “Top Movies of 2016.” I always enjoy taking a look back at the last 12 months in regards to the best personal and pop culture moments in my life
Today I wanted to take a look at my favorite TV shows from the year 2016. Rachel and I love watching good TV shows. We spend a lot of our evenings watching TV together. It’s one of our favorite things to do most nights.
I have 12 different shows on the list this year! Below is the list of shows in no specific order. Enjoy!
- Game of Thrones Maybe my favorite show on TV right now. And this latest season did not disappoint. Six seasons in and still consistently operating at the highest level.
- Veep I’ll be honest, I didn’t love this show at first. Rachel was completely sold on it from the first season, but it took me a little longer to come around. Now I think it’s definitely one of the funniest shows on TV.
- The Night Of This HBO mini-series had me hooked from episode one. It was dark, intense and very well acted.
- Westworld I absolutely loved the first season of this new show on HBO. The cast is amazing and the storyline is fantastic. Two big thumbs up!
- Silicon Valley You maybe be noticing a pattern here. The first 5 shows are all on HBO. I’ve said it before: HBO is responsible for some of the best TV shows of all time. Silicon Valley is seriously one of the funniest shows on TV. I can’t wait for season 4!
- Mr. Robot While season 2 was not as strong as season 1, Mr. Robot is still one of the smartest shows on TV. Plus, I think Rami Malek (the lead character) might be the best actor on a TV show right now.
- Better Call Saul As you may know, Breaking Bad was/is my favorite show of all time. I am loving the prequel/spinoff Better Call Saul. Season 2 ended in April, so I’m definitely ready for the next season.
- House of Cards After a weaker season 3, House of Cards brought it right back in season 4! Frank and Claire Underwood are the most intriguing couple on TV.
- Atlanta This show is on most critics’ top lists of 2016, and I definitely agree. Donald Glover has created one of the more unique and eccentric shows on TV.
- Last Man on Earth This may be my favorite comedy on TV right now. Will Forte and Kristen Schaal are amazing! Plus, the rest of the cast is fantastic!
- Crazy Ex-Girlfriend I blame Rachel for this one. She binge-watched season 1 on Netflix a few months ago and then I found myself wondering what the fuss was all about. And I got hooked in. I find myself thinking that I’m not sure if I actually like it, but I’ve watched every episode so far. It’s definitely one of the more original shows on TV, with typically at least 2 musical numbers in every episode.
- Stranger Things How good was Stranger Things?! Everyone I talked to who watched this show on Netflix felt the same way. I loved it! It was a wonderful throwback to the 80’s with a touch of E.T., Goonies, Close Encounters, etc…
This is my list. There are several shows that were close to making the cut and several shows that I haven’t seen yet, but have heard great things about. What were your favorite TV shows of 2016?